Storm to take part in double header
Melbourne Storm will take part in a historic NRL double header at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday 14 May in 2016, involving North Queensland, Manly and Brisbane.
Storm will play its Round 10 home match next year at Suncorp Stadium instead of AAMI Park hosting last year’s Premiers, the Cowboys at 5:30pm before the Sea Eagles face the Broncos on the same night at Queensland’s iconic venue.
The Club has partnered with Tourism Events Queensland, Suncorp Stadium, the NRL and Fox Sports as well as the three other participating clubs to bring the extravaganza of rugby league to Queensland.
The event which will feature last year’s two grand finalists as well as Storm’s arch rivals Manly will see some of the country’s finest rugby league talent converge on Suncorp Stadium for two mouth-watering match-ups.
Boasting four of the Queensland Maroons’ current Origin stars and holding a strong Queensland connection both past and present, Storm will get the opportunity to play in front of its strong northern supporter base.
Melbourne Storm CEO Dave Donaghy said the decision to take a home game away in 2016 was made with much consideration with the double header presenting an important opportunity for the Club to continue to push into new markets and grow the Storm brand.
“We have been in discussions with the Queensland Government and Suncorp Stadium about delivering this major event for quite some time, it’s terrific to see it come to life,” Donaghy said.
"In building this event, we recognised the wider opportunity and focused on delivering some of the best teams in the NRL. As a result we think there’s every chance of filling Suncorp Stadium and having 52,000 screaming fans celebrating a new marquee rugby league event.
“Storm has strong ties to Queensland, we have a growing membership base in the market, our feeder teams and the Storm Academy are based there, and we have some outstanding Maroons in our team – Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Will Chambers among them.
“I’d call on all Storm members and fans no matter where you are, to make a weekend of it and get behind the concept. We want to continue to build this over a three-year period.”
Storm Members will be given an exclusive opportunity to pre-purchase tickets to the double header before they go on sale to the general public. The member pre-sale through Ticketek will commence at 1pm (Melbourne time) on Tuesday 8 December and run until 1pm (Melbourne time) on Thursday 10 December.
Tickets will then go on sale to the general public on Friday 11 December.
Queensland's Minister for Tourism and Major Events Kate Jones today confirmed the double header between Melbourne Storm and Premiers North Queensland and the Manly Sea Eagles against the Brisbane Broncos on Saturday May 14.
“Our very own Premiers North Queensland and their grand final opponents Brisbane against two of the NRL’s most successful clubs will draw a huge crowd to Queensland’s home of rugby league,” Jones said.
“The Cowboys and the Broncos will be the teams to beat in next year’s NRL competition while Melbourne and Manly will be out to avenge the near-misses of 2015.
“This double-header, which follows the BTC Cup Day at the Brisbane Turf Club, means that Brisbane is set for a blockbuster sporting weekend."
The double header has been locked in for 2016 with an option for Suncorp Stadium to host it again in both 2017 and 2018.
Historically, Storm hold a strong record at the venue having won 10 out of 13 matches, including their last five.