Tickets are now on sale for the 2015 Holden State of Origin game to be played at Melbourne’s iconic MCG.
The NRL’s Head of Commercial, Paul Kind said interest in State of Origin is at an all-time high after NSW finally ended Queensland’s eight year dominance by winning this year’s series 2 -1.
“While State of Origin showcases the rivalry between NSW and Queensland, it is clear that Victorians have just as much passion for either State to win the series,” he said.
“At present there appears to a groundswell of support for the Maroons with 30 per cent of fans choosing tickets in the dedicated Queensland Supporters section so far.
“We just might be looking at one of the largest Maroons supporter groups out of Queensland ever.”
The match, scheduled for June 17 next year, will be the first time Origin has been played at the MCG in 18 years.
Victorian Minister for Sport and Recreation, the Hon Damian Drum MLC, said Origin matches have traditionally been popular in Melbourne and he expected tickets for the match to sell quickly.
"State of Origin is a truly major event and this game will attract tens of thousands of rugby league fans from two of our key interstate markets and deliver significant economic benefits for the State,” Minister Drum said.
"We are proud of our reputation as the sporting capital of Australia and are pleased to partner with the NRL to bring this great game to the iconic MCG next year. This will be one of the hottest tickets in town next June and I urge fans to get in early to secure their seat."