You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Addo-Carr says Melbourne stronger than in 2019

Melbourne Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr says last year's minor premiers have improved during the off-season.

The Storm swept all before them during the 2019 regular season en route to a 20-4 win-loss record.

The finals weren't as kind, with losses to Canberra and the Roosters ending their season a week shy of the grand final.

Addo-Carr said the players had learned plenty from their September disappointment.

So long as Craig Bellamy remains in charge the Storm are going to be a defence-first side, but Addo-Carr hinted at a more attacking approach this year.

"I think we have improved a lot from last year ... and I think we can really improve in our attack," Addo-Carr said on Tuesday.

"We had the season review and thought about what went wrong at the backend of the season.

"Our defence was really good, but I think we could have really improved in attack.

Cam Smith undecided on retirement

"We have worked really hard on our attack ... we have got a lot of strike power."

The Storm will start the new campaign with the same halves combination that finished last season, albeit an inexperienced one following the 11th-hour reshuffle Bellamy did on the eve of last year's finals.

Bellamy dropped Brodie Croft (now at Brisbane) to the bench and moved Hughes to halfback to accommodate excitement machine Ryan Papenhuyzen at fullback.

Remembering Simply The Best advert

Addo-Carr expects this more settled lineup to perform with more assurance following a strenuous workout over the summer.

"The [new] halves are working really well together," he said.

"We had three different halves at times last year, but Jahrome Hughes has really filled the shoes with that halfback spot.

"They are working really well and there are really good signs, so now it’s about executing what we have done during the pre-season."

This season is set to be Addo-Carr's final one in Melbourne, with the New South Welshman having declared his interest in moving to a Sydney club in 2021 due to family reasons.

That desired move north comes due in part to the fact that Addo-Carr is expecting his first child later this year.

Before that, Addo-Carr is focused on ensuring his final year in Melbourne is a good one.

"I honestly thought I would be down here forever," Addo-Carr said in relation to leaving the Storm at the end of 2020.

"I lost four family members last year in the space of three months and I have got to put family first.

"I am really excited about this year and focused on winning another premiership down here."