PR and Communications Manager
Looking to use your exceptional communication skills and drive and energy to mark your mark in a one of a kind working environment?
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria and has experienced substantial growth and success in its short history.
In order to support our Club objectives, an opportunity exists for a highly motivated PR and Communications Manager to join our newly created Corporate Affairs and Strategy team.
Reporting to, and working closely with, the GM- Strategy and Corporate Affairs, the successful applicant will be responsible for managing the media, communications and public relations activity and requirements for whole of club. Working effectively with various stakeholders across all arms of the club to ensure timely communications are delivered and all media and PR opportunities are maximised will be crucial to success in this role. This role will also need to work effectively with media stakeholders to manage requests and interviews with players and other key club personnel.
The PR and Communications Manager will be responsible for a number of key deliverables across Media, Public Affairs and Public Relations including, but not limited to:
- Writing, preparing and issuing Club related media releases, alerts, updates and statements with a football or commercial focus as required
- Sourcing and developing football news concepts for media, creating and attending media opportunities and sharing with the digital and content team as required
- Supporting the execution of Storm's public relations strategy with a focus on building the club's non-football brand, particularly in the Melbourne and emerging markets.
- Working to ensure maximum exposure is gained for club campaigns undertaken by commercial business units i.e. membership campaigns, community / grassroots activities etc.
- Creating, managing and delivering PR activities as required
- Managing all journalist enquiries and media requests in relation to players, coaches, key personnel, injuries and training in a timely and professional manner
- Managing match day media - receiving and allocating requests, troubleshooting, managing post-match interviews
- Supporting the GM - Strategy and Corporate to manage and maintain effective relationship with the NRL, broadcast media partners, media contacts, PR agencies, government and other parties as required
- Supporting the GM- Strategy and Corporate Affairs with briefings/education to players, football department and commercial department staff in relation to key brand and marketing messaging to ensure consistent public approach
- Proactively ensuring all communications are integrated across all departments of the Club and keep with Storm's values, brand and image.
- Providing media and PR support to Sunshine Coast Lightning and any other Storm affiliates as required.
- Undertaking interstate travel for team matches and training camps where necessary
The successful candidate will possess:
- Tertiary education, preferably in Public Relations, Journalism or Communications
- 5 years media or public relations experience
- Experience and demonstrated results in executing public relations and media strategy to build brand and reputation
- Experience across a variety of marketing channels
- Well networked, strong relationships within the media industry
In return the role will provide opportunity and benefits whilst working in one of the premium sporting clubs in Australia.
We are proud to employ people who share the Club's vision for performance excellence, in whatever role they have been engaged to perform, both on and off the field. Our Club Values of Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family and Passion underpin all that we do, and how we do it. We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the "purple pride" within!
For the opportunity to demonstrate your drive, ambition and skills to thrive in our fast paced environment, please send your written application, including both covering letter and CV to Michael Christo via email@example.com
Applications close Friday 23 November 2018.
(We regret that we are unable to accept recruitment agency applications).
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply.
Please note that the successful candidate will need to meet NRL accreditation requirements, which includes a National Police Record clearance as well as have a valid Working with Children Check.