PR & Communications Manager
Introduction to Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria.
Our Vision is "to be the best and most respected professional sports organisation in Australia" and we are proud to employ people who share the Club's vision for performance excellence, both on and off the field.
Our Club Values -Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family, and Passion - underpin all that we do, and how we do it.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the "purple pride" within, as we achieve our Club Purpose - "to experience the thrill of competing and winning together."
The PR and Communications Manager is responsible for managing the media, communications and public relations activity and requirements for whole of club.
Reporting to the GM- Strategy and Corporate Affairs, this role works closely with a number of key internal stakeholders across the club. This includes the CEO, GM - Football, players and Head Coach, as well as the Marketing and Content team to ensure timely communications are delivered. In addition, this role will need to work effectively with media stakeholders to manage requests and interviews with players and other key personnel.
Commercially, the PR and Communications Manager will need to work closely with internal stakeholders including the GM - Football, GM - Marketing and Fan Experience and the GM of Commercial to ensure all media and PR opportunities are maximised.
The role holds responsibility for supporting the execution of Storm's public relations strategy with a focus on building the club's non-football brand, particularly in the Melbourne and emerging markets.
The role is also integral to proactively ensuring all communications are integrated across all departments of the Club and keep with Storm's values, brand and image.
As required, the PR and Communications Manager will provide media and PR support to Sunshine Coast Lightning and any other Storm affiliates as required.
Media and Corporate Affairs
- Write, prepare and issue Club related media releases, alerts, updates and statements with both a football or commercial focus as required
- Source and develop football news concepts for media, create and attend media opportunities and share with the digital and content team as required
- Manage all journalist enquiries and media requests in relation to players, coaches, key personnel, injuries and training in a timely and professional manner
- Manage match day media - receive and allocate request, troubleshoot, manage post-match interviews
- Manage Club press conferences as required
- Brief and coach football talent before media appearances as required
- Develop, manage and maintain relationships with players, coaches and other internal stakeholders both in football and commercial
- Where necessary, travel interstate with team for matches and training camps
- Manage media clippings and reporting
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date database of media contacts
- Send internal staff daily NRL media monitoring email
- Drive communication regarding business activity with trade media
- Support the GM - Strategy and Corporate to manage and maintain effective relationship with the NRL, broadcast media partners, media contacts, PR agencies, government and other parties as required
- Assist to execute media strategy development including but not limited to crisis management and finals campaigns as required
- Support the GM - Strategy and Corporate Affairs with football/club crisis and issue management
- Support the GM - Strategy and Corporate Affairs and Strategy and Operations Manager to develop and execute a public relations strategy to build the profile and positive reputation of Melbourne Storm in non-football media markets as well as non-football investments.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to promote the Melbourne Storm Brand in line with club strategy and objectives
- Work to ensure maximum exposure is gained for club campaigns undertaken by commercial business units i.e. membership campaigns, community / grassroots activities etc.
- Create, manage and deliver PR activities as required
- Support the GM- Strategy and Corporate Affairs with briefings/education to players, football department and commercial department staff in relation to key brand and marketing messaging to ensure consistent public approach
- Assist with the management of external PR agencies as required
- GM - Strategy and Corporate Affairs
- Digital Communications Coordinator
- Strategy and Operations Manager
- GM - Marketing and Digital
- GM - Sponsorship
- GM - Consumer Sales
- GM - Football
- Head Coach
- Welfare Department
- Other Football Department Staff
- Marketing, Digital and Content Department
- People and Culture Manager
- Finance and Administration Team
- Media organisations and outlets
- Broadcast partners
- Player managers
- Club sponsors
- Government representatives
- Other sporting organisations
- PR agencies
Key Skills & Attributes
- Demonstrated success in the execution of sport media strategies and campaigns
- Experience in delivery of PR stategies to build brand and reputation
- High level of organisational skills and understanding of processes required to facilitate best media practices
- Well networked, strong relationships within the media industry
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent relationship building and influencing skills
- Strong problem solving and issues resolution skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while juggling multiple priorities
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Committed to achieving deadlines
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive approach
- High level of initiative and ambition
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team
- Ability to work across the whole of organisation with a customer focused approach
- Strong desire to drive change and make continuous improvement
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Consistent demonstration of Club values
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Basic Microsoft Excel skills
- Basic Microsoft Powerpoint skills
All employees are responsible for behaving in accordance with, and proudly promoting Melbourne Storm's Club values - Family, Respect, Accountability, Hard Work and Passion.
- Accountability: Know your role - do your role. Take ownership to get the job done together
- Hard Work: Demonstrate focus, courage, determination and resilience to achieve each and every time
- Family: We are a family club, built on care, support, inclusion and unity
- Respect: We are all in this together. Treat everyone as an equal, be humble, be gracious and fair.
- Passion: Get the most out of your time - bring the right energy and emotion, embrace the "purple pride".
Please refer to the current approved Purchasing Policy delegated authority limits as published on Melbourne Storm's intranet
Qualifications, Experience and Licences Required
- Tertiary education, preferably in Public Relations, Journalism or Communications
- 5 years media or public relations experience
- Experience and demonstrated results in executing public relations and media strategy
- Experience across a variety of marketing channels
Please note that all Melbourne Storm staff will need to meet NRL accreditation/registration requirements, which includes National Police Record clearance and having a valid Working With Children Check before they are appointed to their role.
Health and Safety
All employees are responsible for:
- Compliance with the company policy, safety systems and applicable health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Reporting any and all conditions or unsafe practices that may affect the health of employees or others to management promptly.
- Recommending improvements to health and safety practices.
- Adopting safe work practices that comply with health and safety requirements and must not wilfully place at risk the health and safety of any other person in the workplace.
- Assisting in timely completion of any corrective action items and reporting / investigation procedures.
- Participating in relevant health and safety induction, training and other relevant activities.
- Use and maintain all safety equipment provided.