Introduction to Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria.
Our Vision is "to be the best and most respected professional sports organisation in Australia" and we are proud to employ people who share the Club's vision for performance excellence, both on and off the field.
Our Club Values -Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family, and Passion - underpin all that we do, and how we do it.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the "purple pride" within, as we achieve our Club Purpose - "to experience the thrill of competing and winning together."
The Financial Accountant is responsible for the overall management of the accounts receivable / accounts payable function together with general ledger accounting and management reporting.
- Maintain accurate vendors subsidiary ledger in the financial system
- Maintain the vendor masterfile in the financial system, ensuring all key fields fully and accurately completed
- Process vendor invoices (cash & contra) into the financial system on a timely basis and in accordance with the Finance Team Timetable
- Ensure all invoices have been correctly authorised in accordance with the company's delegated authorities before processing
- Ensure all vendor invoices are processed correctly in accordance with GST legislation
- Complete business expenditure reimbursement payments to employees on a fortnightly basis
- Processing Medical Accounts.
- Maintain accurate debtors subsidiary ledger in the financial system
- Maintain the debtors masterfile in the financial system, ensuring all key fields fully and accurately completed
- Process debtor invoices and credit card payments in the financial system on a timely basis and in accordance with the Finance Team Timetable
- Allocate debtor payments (cash, cheque, EFT, credit card) in the financial system accurately and on a timely basis and in accordance with the Finance Team Timetable
- Continually monitor the Aged Debtors Trial Balance to ensure customers pay within agreed terms
- Follow up on all outstanding debtor balances in conjunction with internal account owners and report to the CFO and Finance Manager on a regular basis
- Perform general ledger accounting processes and ensure compliance with Australian Accounting Standards (AASB).
- Assist with the administration of the company's financial system (MYOB EXO).
- Ensure the accurate completion of journal entries and maintain accurate accruals and provisions.
- Maintain appropriate controls over fixed assets, including detailed fixed asset register and coordination of an annual physical fixed assets stocktake.
- Prepare general ledger reconciliations for various accounts in the Profit/Loss and all Balance Sheet accounts. Ensure any reconciling items are resolved on a timely basis, and any other issues resolved or highlighted to the Finance Manager.
- Identify potential exposures and risks in the Balance Sheet.
Financial & Management Reporting
- Assist the Finance Manager prepare timely, accurate and insightful monthly financial reports for management and Board reporting, including various Profit/Loss reports, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and Capital Expenditure.
- Prepare monthly financial reports, game day reports and bi-annual benchmarking reports to the National Rugby League (NRL) using the required templates.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual statutory financial statements for each company in the Melbourne Storm group accordance with Australian Securites and Investments Commission (ASIC) requirements.
Cash & Banking
- Reconcile all bank accounts in accordance with the Finance Team Timetable
- Maintain all cash floats including game day floats and petty cash floats and ensure controls in place to safeguard the cash
- Reconcile petty cash on a monthly basis and in accordance with the Finance Team Timetable
- Manage the processes of collection and safeguarding cash from game day and events and ensure banked on a timely basis
- Process direct receipts and payments to the bank account and reconcile all bank accounts in accordance with the Finance Team Timetable
Records Management & Security
- Ensure all financial records are appropriately archived to satisfy internal and external requirements including:
- Ensure financial records are held for the required time as per statutory/taxation requirements
- Manage the annual archiving process for Finance records & ensure integrity of the Archive Register
Internal Controls, Policies & Procedures
- Drive efficiency improvements in accounts processes to achieve a reduction in the monthly timetable so financial reports are provided on a more timely basis to enable proactive decision making
- Assist internal users of the financial system with the correct use of the purchase order system
- Assist with the improvement and implementation of internal control policies and procedures that minimise risk exposure, aid fiscal control and ensure legal compliance
- Assist with ad hoc tasks as required including manangement of E-tags, petrol cards and stationary orders.
- Finance Manager
- Finance and Administration Department
- Sponsorship and Corporate Partners
- Service Providers and Suppliers
- National Rugby League (NRL)
Key Skills & Attributes
- Strong understanding of financial systems
- Strong technical financial skills and experience
- Strategic thinker with strong financial analysis skills
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent relationship building and influencing skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while juggling multiple priorities
- Committed to achieving deadlines
- Basic Microsoft Word skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills
All employees are responsible for behaving in accordance with, and proudly promoting Melbourne Storm's Club values – Family, Respect, Accountability, Hard Work and Passion.
- Accountability: Know your role - do your role. Take ownership to get the job done together
- Hard Work: Demonstrate focus, courage, determination and resilience to achieve each and every time
- Family: We are a family club, built on care, support, inclusion and unity
- Respect: We are all in this together. Treat everyone as an equal, be humble, be gracious and fair.
- Passion: Get the most out of your time – bring the right energy and emotion, embrace the "purple pride".
Qualifications, Experience and Licences Required
- Bachelor degree in Commerce, Economics, Business or Accounting
- CA or CPA qualified preferred
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in public practice and/or financial accounting role in commerce
Please note that all Melbourne Storm staff will need to meet NRL accreditation/registration requirements, which includes National Police Record clearance and a valid Working With Children Check, before they are appointed to their role.
Health and Safety
All employees are responsible for:
- Compliance with the company policy, safety systems and applicable health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Reporting any and all conditions or unsafe practices that may affect the health of employees or others to management promptly.
- Recommending improvements to health and safety practices.
- Adopting safe work practices that comply with health and safety requirements and must not wilfully place at risk the health and safety of any other person in the workplace.
- Assisting in timely completion of any corrective action items and reporting / investigation procedures.
- Participating in relevant health and safety induction, training and other relevant activities.
- Use and maintain all safety equipment provided.
Please note: Melbourne Storm reserves the right to change job duties and responsibilities outlined in this Position Description at any stage in line with business requirements and needs.