Commercial Sales Manager
Commercial Sales Manager
Introduction to Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria.
Our Vision is "to be the best and most respected professional sports organisation in Australia" and we are proud to employ people who share the Club's vision for performance excellence, both on and off the field.
- Our Club Values - Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family, and Passion - underpin all that we do, and how we do it.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the "purple pride" within, as we achieve our Club Purpose - "to experience the thrill of competing and winning together."
The Commercial Sales Manager is responsible for working closely with, and supporting the GM - Commercial, with commercial revenue generation and development and maintenance of all key stakeholder relationships across the following areas:
- This role also holds accountability for contribution towards achievement of revenue targets across the following areas of the business:
- Corporate hospitality
- Retail Merchandise
The Commercial Sales Manager will also lead the commercial integration programs between Melbourne Storm and Sunshine Coast Lightning, our netball franchise.
In addition the Commercial Sales Manager is responsible for providing management and leadership to direct reports and driving the execution of the day-to-day Commercial operations to support overall delivery of Commercial strategy and business objectives.
- Support execution of the Commercial Strategic plan to deliver on commercial KPIs and objectives for the Club.
- Identify and drive growth of new commercial acquisitions across the business
- Source new sponsorship leads and targets and proactively follow up
- Successfully close new leads, turning prospects into clients and business partners
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with sponsors, current and potential
- Undertake effective negotiation to support commercial objectives.
- Effectively manage and service existing partnerships with key sponsorship stakeholders
- Identify and communicate potential risks regarding retention of current sponsorhsip base
- Create and deliver pitches for potential key sponsors and clients
- Digital / Content
- Work closely with the Director, Commercial to identify and execute all opportunites to monitise all Melbourne Storm and SCL digital assets
- Work with Media Department and Marketing and Content Department as required to develop new and relevant content to drive digital revenue growth
- Manage relationships with associated Storm digital agencies as required
- Support the Commercial Director in maintaining effective relationships with key NRL Stakeholders
- Support the Commercial Director in maintaining with NRL digital leads
- Represent the Club, as required, in the upmost professional manner to external parties in all dealings
- Provide strong and clear communication and role model cooperation and team work with other departments across the club.
- Provide effective leadership, guidance and support to all direct reports through the delivery of quality coaching, effective conversations and execution and monitoring of day to day operations
GM - Commercial
- Sponsorship Sales Executive
- Corporate Sales Executive
- Partnerships Executive
- Business Development Manager
- Chief Executive Officer - Melbourne Storm
- GM- Commercial - Sunshine Coast Lightning
- Senior Executive team
- Head of Marketing and Content
- Head of Media and Corporate Affairs
- Senior Players
- Commercial stakeholders / decision makers
- Storm appointed agencies
Key Skills & Attributes
- Strong ability at finding new business leads & contacts - cold calling
- Thorough understanding of the sponsorship sector
- Proven experience in commercial negotiations and account and relationship management
- Proven sales skills and ability to close deals
- Exceptional delivery of service and requirements in line with contractual arrangements of club partners
- Strong written and communications skills
- Excellent relationship building and influencing skills
- Strong problem solving and issues resolution skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while juggling multiple priorities
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Committed to achieving deadlines
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive approach
- High level of initiative and ambition
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team
- Ability to work across the organisation with a customer focused approach
- Strong desire to drive change and make continuous improvement
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Consistent demonstration of Club values
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills
- Basic Microsoft Powerpoint skills
- Excellent leadership skills with people at all levels in the organisation
- Experience in strategic planning and execution
- Ability to create, manage and execute budgets
- Ability to inspire others to work towards achievement to team KPIs and Club Vision and Purpose
All employees are responsible for behaving in accordance with, and proudly promoting Melbourne Storm's Club values - Family, Respect, Accountability, Hard Work and Passion.
- Accountability: Know your role - do your role. Take ownership to get the job done together
- Hard Work: Demonstrate focus, courage, determination and resilience to achieve each and every time
- Family: We are a family club, built on care, support, inclusion and unity
- Respect: We are all in this together. Treat everyone as an equal, be humble, be gracious and fair.
- Passion: Get the most out of your time - bring the right energy and emotion, embrace the "purple pride".
Please refer to the current approved Purchasing Policy delegated authority limits as published on Melbourne Storm's intranet.
Qualifications, Experience and Licences Required
- Tertiary qualification in Business, Marketing or related discipline preferred.
- Proven experience in sponsorship and/or sales roles with an excellent understanding of business disciplines and processes.
- Thorough understanding of the sponsorship sector.
- Strong network of commercial/corporate business contacts
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a similar role - exposure within the sporting industry will be highly regarded
Please note that all Melbourne Storm staff will need to meet NRL accreditation/registration requirements, which includes National Police Record clearance, before they are appointed to their role.
Health and Safety
All employees are responsible for:
- Compliance with the company policy, safety systems and applicable health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Reporting any and all conditions or unsafe practices that may affect the health of employees or others to management promptly.
- Recommending improvements to health and safety practices.
- Adopting safe work practices that comply with health and safety requirements and must not wilfully place at risk the health and safety of any other person in the workplace.
- Assisting in timely completion of any corrective action items and reporting / investigation procedures.
- Participating in relevant health and safety induction, training and other relevant activities.
- Use and maintain all safety equipment provided.
- Managers are also responsible for:
- Ensuring all appropriate actions are taken to implement health and safety policies and procedures and legislative requirements.
- Accepting operational responsibility for health and safety performance within the work areas under their control.
- Effectively communicating health and safety policies, procedures and workplace issues with senior management and employees.
- Supporting the Health and Safety Officer and First Aid Officer in fulfilling their responsibilities.