Membership Sales Manager Position Description
- Position Title - Membership Sales Manager
- Department - Commercial
- Reports To - GM – Consumer
- Direct Reports - Membership Sales Representatives (casual)
- Position Type - Full time
- Location - Melbourne
Introduction to Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria.
Our Vision is to be "the best and most respected professional sports organization in Australia" and we are proud to employ people who share the Club’s vision for performance excellence, both on and off the field.
Our Club Values –Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family, and Passion - underpin all that we do, and how we do it.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the “purple pride” within, as we achieve our Club Purpose – “to experience the thrill of competing and winning together.”
Reporting to the GM – Consumer, this role holds overall responsibility of the build and execution of the consumer acquisition and retention program and growing revenue across membership, ticketing and merchandise. Developing and overseeing strategies to grow the consumer base of the Melbourne Storm will be integral to this role, as will supporting the merchandise program for Club. The Membership Sales Manager will oversee and guide the membership sales team within the Membership Department and will work closely and collaboratively with the Membership Operations Manager to ensure the smooth running of the end to end membership function for Melbourne Storm.
New Member Acquisition
- Create and develop sales plans to grow membership numbers and club revenue, in line with the Club’s marketing strategies and business growth targets.
- Implement and manage the execution of sales plans for the membership team
- Liaise with key internal stakeholders to effectively implement and manage the execution of sales plans within the Membership team.
- Generate membership leads using existing database, referrals and other relevant campaigns to drive sales and revenue growth.
- Develop and implement a data capture strategy to identify new prospects and markets.
- Utilise data and stakeholders, both internal and external, to generate and close traditional and non -traditional membership leads.
- Create and execute effective retention strategies to ensure membership retention is in line with Club strategies and targets
- Implement and manage the execution of retention plans for the membership team
- Design and execute strategies to ensure follow up on non -renewals of Club House members
- Be proactive in identifying and addressing any potential issues that may affect member retention in a timely manner
Existing Member Development
- Develop strategies to elevate members to higher yield membership categories.
- Create and develop new products and offerings to upsell and engage members.
- Work with available data to identify patterns and risk to minimize membership churn
- Ensure that all benefits contained within the Club House membership and other premium membership products are consistently delivered
- Ensure all premium membership enquiries are responded to in a timely manner.
- Oversee the guest pass process and be the primary contact for Club House members on game day
- Assist in the creation of the annual merchandise plan for each season.
- Assist in the delivery of the Club’s Merchandise program in line with business objectives.
- Drive sales and revenue as required with regards to merchandise targets and objectives.
- Assist with the creation and delivery of an annual memorabilia program in line with business objectives
- Work closely with key stakeholders to build and deliver a ticketing strategy to grow and maximise ticket sales revenue
- Work collaboratively with the Membership Operations Manager to ensure that ticketing processes are efficent and effective.
- Manage direct reports to ensure team performance is aligned with Club expectations.
- Effectively oversee, drive and coach a high-performance sales team, to deliver upon daily targets and KPIs
- Set team and individual goals and objectives and coach team members to achieve
- Create a vibrant sales culture in line with best practice
- Create and manage staffing rosters and budget for membership sales team
- Monitor staff performance and manage accordingly
- Demonstrate an ability to inspire others to work towards achievement of Club goals, vision and purpose
- Ensure accurate records of all prospects and customers are entered and maintained within the membership database and other systems.
- Be aware of basic requirements in regard to the Australian Privacy Principles and adhere to best practice in line with ADMA guidelines.
- Co-ordinate a volunteer program to assist with game day operations in season.
- Represent Melbourne Storm in a professional manner at functions and match day, including effective management of premium membership products
- Work collaboratively with the Membership Operations Manager, and other key stakeholders to ensure the overall membership program is delivered to the highest possible standard.
- Support the effective management of the membership budget and expenses, including providing accurate and timely reporting as required.
- GM – Consumer
- Membership Operations Manager
- SCL Membership Coordinator
- Membership Sales Executive
- Membership casuals
- Events and Game Day Manager
- Marketing and Digital Department
- Commercial Department
- Finance and Administration Department
- Football Department
- Game Day Volunteers
- Melbourne Storm members and fans
- MOBC, venue and entertainment staff
- NRL Vic
Key Skills & Attributes
- Ability to thrive in a high pressure environment while juggling multiple priorities
- Accountability for targets, deadlines and core responsibilities
- Strong written and communications skills
- Strong customer service skills via phone and email
- Excellent relationship building and influencing skills
- Strong problem solving and issues resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive approach
- High level of initiative and ambition
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team
- Ability to work across the organisation with a customer focused approach
- Strong desire to drive change and make continuous improvement
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Consistent demonstration of Club values
- Excellent leadership skills with people at all levels in the organisation
- Experience in strategic planning and execution
- Ability to create, manage and execute budgets
- Ability to inspire others to work towards achievement to team KPIs and Club Vision and Purpose
All employees are responsible for behaving in accordance with, and proudly promoting Melbourne Storm’s Club values – Family, Respect, Accountability, Hard Work and Passion.
- Accountability: Know your role - do your role. Take ownership to get the job done together
- Hard Work: Demonstrate focus, courage, determination and resilience to achieve each and every time
- Family: We are a family club, built on care, support, inclusion and unity
- Respect: We are all in this together. Treat everyone as an equal, be humble, be gracious and fair.
- Passion: Get the most out of your time – bring the right energy and emotion, embrace the “purple pride”.
Please refer to the current approved Purchasing Policy delegated authority limits.
Qualifications, Experience and Licenses Required
- Proven experience of no less than 2 years in a membership and sales roles with an excellent understanding of business disciplines and a strong sales track record. Experience in a sporting club will highly regarded.
- Tertiary qualification in Sports Management, Business, or related discipline.
- Excellent knowledge of Membership Systems and software
- An understanding of the consumer sector.
Please note that all Melbourne Storm staff will need to meet NRL accreditation/registration requirements, which includes National Police Record clearance and valid WWCC/Bluecard, before they are appointed to their role.
Health and Safety
All employees are responsible for:
- Compliance with the company policy, safety systems and applicable health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Reporting any and all conditions or unsafe practices that may affect the health of employees or others to management promptly.
- Recommending improvements to health and safety practices.
- Adopting safe work practices that comply with health and safety requirements and must not wilfully place at risk the health and safety of any other person in the workplace.
- Assisting in timely completion of any corrective action items and reporting / investigation procedures.
- Participating in relevant health and safety induction, training and other relevant activities.
- Use and maintain all safety equipment provided.
Managers are also responsible for:
- Ensuring all appropriate actions are taken to implement health and safety policies and procedures and legislative requirements.
- Accepting operational responsibility for health and safety performance within the work areas under their control.
- Effectively communicating health and safety policies, procedures and workplace issues with senior management and employees.
- Supporting the Health and Safety Officer and First Aid Officer in fulfilling their responsibilities.