Marketing Manager PD
This position description provides an indicative outline of the purpose and accountabilities of the role. Specific performance objectives, measurements and expectations will be agreed with your Manager.
Position Title: Marketing Manager
Reports to: General Manager - Marketing
Direct Reports: Nil
Position Type: Full time
Location: AAMI Park Melbourne
Date: November 2019
Introduction to Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria.
Our Vision is “to be the best and most respected professional sports organisation in Australia” and we are proud to employ people who share the Club’s vision for performance excellence, both on and off the field.
Our Club Values –Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family, and Passion underpin all that we do, and how we do it.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the “purple pride” within, as we achieve our Club Purpose – "to experience the thrill of competing and winning together."
Working alongside the GM Marketing, this role is charged the execution of the Club marketing plan to build brand awareness, consumer engagement and ultimately revenue growth.
The Marketing Manager will specifically focus on the development and delivery of consumer campaigns to generate revenue and use data to review effectiveness, make decisions and guide ongoing activity.
Working closely with the wider marketing and content team to deliver on strategic and business objectives will be crucial to the success of this role. A data driven and analytical approach to marketing will be important as the organisation continues to develop capacity in this area.
The Marketing Manager will need to be personable and passionate, must be highly organised, willing to go the extra mile and work to clear priorities.
- Manage the delivery of the consumer marketing plan to:
- Grow brand awareness
- Grow a fan base for Storm
- Build a member base for Storm
- Engage and nurture loyal fans
- Drive multi-channel retail sales across ticketing and merchandise
- Drive retail ticket sales for match days
- Develop and deliver consumer marketing campaigns to drive revenue outcomes for membership, ticketing, corporate hospitality, merchandise and events.
- Develop and implement tactical marketing initiatives to support long-term increase in customer engagement, loyalty and deliver annual revenue budgets.
- Work with Membership Sales Manager to deliver a consolidated plan to target member retention and acquisition activities for all membership categories.
- Develop and manage targeted marketing campaigns and ticket promotions to support match day revenue and attendance targets.
- Develop and manage consumer marketing activities within specified budget.
- Work closely with the Head of Brand & Content to plan content across departments and platforms to ensure overall business objective are met.
Direct Marketing & Data
- Manage the delivery of club eDMs via the online mail platform.
- Oversee implementation of marketing automation across the business.
- Deliver timely reporting and analysis of all promotional activities to ensure measurement of results.
- Analyse data captured in order to make recommendations to enhance Melbourne Storm’s direct marketing capability.
- Ensure data integrity standards across the business when capturing data as well as compliance with appropriate statutory rules and regulations.
- Use the data warehouse, derive key actionable insights for the business to drive revenue benefits through acquisition or retention campaigns and activities for business units.
- Lead the Club’s market research program to gain insights across key customer segments.
- Work closely with the NRL to deliver best practice standards at Melbourne Storm.
Media Partners & Advertising
- Manage media partner relationships.
- Create and execute promotions via media partners to support consumer revenue targets.
- Develop and implement all advertising campaigns across a broad range of media formats (television, radio, outdoor, digital and press).
- Support the delivery of sponsorship rights and benefits as required.
- Develop and maintain relationships with NRL and other partners to deliver marketing outcomes and ensure integration where appropriate.
- Work closely with Sunshine Coast Lightning to integrate and leverage Group wide marketing activities.
- General administration duties as required.
- General Manager – Marketing
- Head of Brand & Content
- Membership Sales Manager
- Consumer Business Team
- Sponsorship & Corporate Sales Team
- Media & Corporate Affairs Team
- Finance Team
- Football Department
- Sunshine Coast Lightning
- Other NRL Clubs
- Commercial partners
- Suppliers and service providers
Key Skills & Attributes
- Strong written and communications skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while juggling multiple priorities
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive approach
- High level of initiative and ambition
- Ability to work across the organisation with a customer focused approach
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Consistent demonstration of Club values
- Strong understanding of marketing principles and traditional marketing
- Strong understanding of media planning and buying across tv, digital, print and radio
- Knowledge of digital marketing activities with a focus on marketing automation and email marketing principles and techniques.
- Ability to brief creative concepts to partners and obtain quality outputs in line with stated objectives
- Demonstrated ability to deliver creative solutions to market
All employees are responsible for behaving in accordance with, and proudly promoting Melbourne Storm’s Club values – Family, Respect, Accountability, Hard Work and Passion.
- Accountability: Know your role - do your role. Take ownership to get the job done together
- Hard Work: Demonstrate focus, courage, determination and resilience to achieve each and every time
- Family: We are a family club, built on care, support, inclusion and unity
- Respect: We are all in this together. Treat everyone as an equal, be humble, be gracious and fair.
- Passion: Get the most out of your time – bring the right energy and emotion, embrace the “purple pride”.
Please refer to the current approved Purchasing Policy delegated authority limits.
Qualifications, Experience and Licences Required
- Tertiary qualification, preferably in Marketing, Communications or Public Relations
- Experience in marketing, media, or communications
- Experience across a variety of marketing channels an advantage
Please note that all Melbourne Storm staff will need to meet NRL accreditation/registration requirements, which includes National Police Record clearance and valid WWCC/Bluecard, before they are appointed to their role.
Health and Safety
All employees are responsible for:
- Compliance with the company policy, safety systems and applicable health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Reporting any and all conditions or unsafe practices that may affect the health of employees or others to management promptly.
- Recommending improvements to health and safety practices.
- Adopting safe work practices that comply with health and safety requirements and must not wilfully place at risk the health and safety of any other person in the workplace.
- Assisting in timely completion of any corrective action items and reporting / investigation procedures.
- Participating in relevant health and safety induction, training and other relevant activities.
- Use and maintain all safety equipment provided.
Managers are also responsible for:
- Ensuring all appropriate actions are taken to implement health and safety policies and procedures and legislative requirements.
- Accepting operational responsibility for health and safety performance within the work areas under their control.
- Effectively communicating health and safety policies, procedures and workplace issues with senior management and employees.
- Supporting the Health and Safety Officer and First Aid Officer in fulfilling their responsibilities.
Please note: Melbourne Storm reserves the right to change job duties and responsibilities outlined in this Position Description at any stage in line with business requirements and needs.