Game Day and Events Manager PD
Introduction to Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm is an Australian professional rugby league club playing in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. It is the only NRL team based in Victoria.
Our Vision is “to be the best and most respected professional sports organisation in Australia” and we are proud to employ people who share the Club’s vision for performance excellence, both on and off the field.
Our Club Values –Accountability, Hard Work, Respect, Family, and Passion - underpin all that we do, and how we do it.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenges and rewards that bring out the best in people and fosters the “purple pride” within, as we achieve our Club Purpose – “to experience the thrill of competing and winning together.”
The Game Day and Events Manager (Maternity Leave Contract) is a contract role that is responsible for the end-to-end delivery of the Melbourne Storm game-day and events program, with the aim to provide a first-class experience for members, fans, corporates and event goers more generally.
The Game Day and Events Manager holds the primary responsibility as project manager for the Club’s home games at AAMI Park and all external events. The role will be required to work closely with key event and production partners, Melbourne and Olympic Parks Trust (MOPT) and Max Events, to deliver a best practice experience in line with the Club’s overarching growth strategy.
In addition, the Game Day and Events Manager must be able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a high- pressure environment to ensure Melbourne Storm is showcased in the best possible light in front of a live crowd and national TV audience. A compelling and exciting game-day execution is a vital part of
the Club’s opportunity to expand the Melbourne Storm narrative to new and engaged audiences, and ultimately drive increased attendance and membership conversion.
- Lead the planning and delivery of Melbourne Storm Game Day activities and events
- Effectively manage stakeholders, including contractors and suppliers, ensuring all agreements are executed efficiently and a professional game day experience is consistently delivered.
- Work collaboratively across business units to support ticketing/crowd growth plans and to help drive revenue growth.
- Provide strong direction and guidance to other staff, including volunteers, to deliver the best possible game day outcomes
- Work with all business units, namely Membership, Corporate and Sponsorship to ensure cohesive and positive event deliverables.
- Manage suppliers and and contractors involved in key club events
- Provide strong direction and guidance to other staff, to deliver the best possible experience and results across Club events.
- Represent Melbourne Storm in a professional manner at all times
- Work with key event partners, namely MOPT, Max Events and hospitality providers to ensure a first class game-day/event experience.
- Build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with Storm sponsors and suppliers, to ensure event outcomes are maximised
- With guidance from the Operations and Strategy Manager, work with NRL, NRL Victoria and Touch Football to ensure all partnership opportunities are leveraged in regards to a collective events and activities calendar
- Attend and present at stakeholder meetings to provide project updates and communicate key event/game day calendar information.
Budget and Expenses
- Provide regular budget reconciliation and forecasting reporting
- Manage expenses associated with game day sports presentation, operations, promotion and theming.
- Support Event expense budgets including all consumer events, corporate and selected membership events
- Strategy and Operations Manager
- GM – Corporate Affairs and Strategy
- Membership Operations Manager
- GM - Commercial
- Corporate Sales Executive
- Sponsorship Sales Executive
- Sponsorship Team
- Membership Team
- Finance and Administration Team
- Football Department
- Event and Game Day Assistants (Volunteers)
- Corporate, charity and sponsorship partners
- Production Companies
- Michael O'Brien Catering
- Banner Crew
- AV Companies
- Event contractors
- Community partners
- NRL Victoria
Key Skills & Attributes
- Strong understanding of event management principles
- Ability to brief creative concepts to partners and obtain quality outputs in line with stated objectives
- Ability to deliver strong commercial outcomes through membership activity including events, entertainment or retail.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while juggling multiple priorities
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Committed to achieving deadlines
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent relationship building and influencing skills
- Strong problem solving and issues resolution skills
- Strong written and communications skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive approach
- High level of initiative and ambition
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team
- Ability to work across the organisation with a customer focused approach
- Strong desire to drive change and make continuous improvement
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Consistent demonstration of Club values
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Powerpoint skills
All employees are responsible for behaving in accordance with, and proudly promoting Melbourne Storm’s Club values – Family, Respect, Accountability, Hard Work and Passion.
- Accountability: Know your role - do your role. Take ownership to get the job done together
- Hard Work: Demonstrate focus, courage, determination and resilience to achieve each and every time
- Family: We are a family club, built on care, support, inclusion and unity
- Respect: We are all in this together. Treat everyone as an equal, be humble, be gracious and fair.
- Passion: Get the most out of your time – bring the right energy and emotion, embrace the “purple pride”.
Please refer to the current approved Purchasing Policy delegated authority limits as published on Melbourne Storm’s intranet.
Qualifications, Experience and Licences Required
- Proven experience in working in high-pressure events environments, including holding responsibility for both operational and administrative functions.
- Tertiary qualifications in event management or a relevant field
- A strong understanding of event management principles and best practice processes.
- The ability to provide strong and clear direction to others in a calm and respectful manner.
- Demonstrated ability to manage numerous stakeholders – both internal and external.
- Familiarity in managing budgets
Please note that all Melbourne Storm staff will need to meet NRL accreditation/registration requirements, which includes National Police Record clearance, before they are appointed to their role.
Health and Safety
All employees are responsible for:
- Compliance with the company policy, safety systems and applicable health and safety legislation and regulations.
- Reporting any and all conditions or unsafe practices that may affect the health of employees or others to management promptly.
- Recommending improvements to health and safety practices.
- Adopting safe work practices that comply with health and safety requirements and must not wilfully place at risk the health and safety of any other person in the workplace.
- Assisting in timely completion of any corrective action items and reporting / investigation procedures.
- Participating in relevant health and safety induction, training and other relevant activities.
- Use and maintain all safety equipment provided.